The Secret To Long Lasting Change
The secret to changing anything in our lives usually boils down to changing or forming new habits. Sounds pretty easy, however, forming new habits is challenging and can be perceived as a daunting task. I see it in my practice everyday and know that when we don’t make immediate and long lasting changes, we can be very hard on ourselves, which can slow down or even stifle progress.
Here’s a great trick for change that lasts. Before you begin a new change, frame it in your brain as an ongoing process and not something you can succeed or fail at. Give yourself credit for the journey and remember that change is like acquiring any new skill, it won’t happen overnight. It takes time and should not be measured as a success or a failure, but growth and progress in the right direction. Feeling ready to make a change or create a new habit?
Follow This Easy Approach:
- Start by choosing one new habit you would like to establish.
- Create a plan to accomplish this goal for 3 days.
- At the end of the 3 days, schedule a few minutes to reflect on how it went and modify your plan as needed to achieve better ease or happiness in accomplishing the task.
- Now try another 3 days with your modified plan, then stop, reflect and modify the plan again as needed.
- Continue this process until the new habit feels like a happy, natural part of your day.
You see, the secret is quite simple. It takes a change in how you see the task. Simply looking at change in bite-sized chunks is a great way to avoid becoming overwhelmed or giving up and allows you to find joy in the process and progress.
If you have any questions or would like some help sticking to your goals, send me a message or leave a comment below!
Be healthy. Be happy.
Dr. Jen Forristal